Master's Degree – Full Year


"Klingenstein fundamentally changed the way I view education.  Through our dynamic classes, professors and fellow cohort members, I have become more aware of all the various components--legal, political, philosophical and financial-- that make private school leadership both complicated and exciting. The program gave me a holistic understanding of all the challenges and opportunities that await me as I move forward with my career."  - Daniel Kriebel, Full-Year MA ‘12, The American International School of Lesotho

The Full-Year MA Program is an intensive full-time program that allows students to earn a master's degree in nine months during the academic year from September to May.

The program of study aims to prepare students to further develop their ability to exercise leadership and to increase their capacity to meet the challenges of leadership. The special features of the program include course work and guided fieldwork experiences specifically geared to meet the needs of independent school educators as well as connections to an extensive network of cooperating schools. The program draws prominent faculty from throughout the university including the Columbia University School of Law as well as Teachers College.

The MA (32 points) or Ed.M. (60 points) in Education Leadership, with a concentration in Private School Leadership is designed to enhance students' knowledge, skills, values, and practical experience so they can achieve their potential as leaders within independent and international schools. The core curriculum is complemented with electives from Teachers College and/or other schools at Columbia University. Within the context of their coursework, students experience integrative projects and related fieldwork. The program provides a strong foundation for leadership positions in independent schools.

Private, international or charter school teachers or administrators with at least three years of teaching experience and a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university are eligible to apply.