MA Full-Year FAQ


Who is eligible to apply?

Candidates with at least three years head teaching experience are eligible to apply; teaching experience in public or private schools is acceptable, however, applicants most recent experience should be in an independent or international school.  Time spent as an intern, teaching assistant, or part time teacher does not count toward the experience.

Back to Top

How do I apply?

For detailed information on the application process, please review the Admissions section of the Klingenstein web site. Candidates who wish to apply to master’s degree programs must submit an application directly to Teachers College, Columbia University.

Back to Top

What are the admissions deadlines?

The priority deadline for complete applications to the full-year master’s degree program is January 15th. Applications will be reviewed on a space-available basis until the final deadline of April 15th.

Back to Top

Are scholarships or financial aid available?

Yes. The Klingenstein Center has generous scholarship funds and awards over $1 million annually to support students across its programs. Klingenstein Scholarships are need and merit-based. To learn the details of applying for a Klingenstein Scholarship, please visit the Financing Your Education section of the Klingenstein Admissions page.

Teachers College has need-based financial aid in the form of grants, loans, and work-study programs as well as merit-based scholarships. To apply for Teachers College scholarships and loans, please visit the Financial Aid section of the Teachers College website.

Back to Top

Is housing available?

Yes. Housing is available for full-time graduate students through the Office of Residential Services, Teachers College, Columbia University. The College maintains both single student housing and family housing in the form of single rooms, suites, studios, one bedroom, two bedroom, and three bedroom apartments (limited availability) in five different residence halls, four of which are next to Teachers College.

It is important to note that affordable housing is a precious commodity in New York City. For convenience, most Klingenstein students elect to live in on-campus housing. Housing assignments at Teachers College are awarded on a "first-come, first served" basis, and housing applications should be completed as early as possible; applicants are encouraged to apply for housing at the time of application for admission. For more detailed information, and housing application materials, visit the Office of Residential Services section of the Teachers College website.

Back to Top

When will I be notified of an admissions decision?

Notifications of admissions decisions are sent via email by the Teachers College Office of Admissions by March 20th. If you have questions or concerns about the timing of your admissions decision, please contact the Klingenstein Center.

Back to Top

Are there special requirements for international applicants?

Yes. International students must hold the equivalent of a U.S. baccalaureate degree in order to be eligible for admission to Teachers College. Applicants whose undergraduate degree was from an international institution where the language of instruction was other than English may be required to achieve a successful score on the TOEFL exam. International students will most likely need to obtain a visa to study in the United States. International applicants are encouraged to carefully review the International Applicants section of the Teachers College Admissions website.

Back to Top

May I submit additional letters of reference?

Yes. It is fine to submit additional letters of reference from colleagues and Klingenstein alumni who know your work from a variety of perspectives. Please send supplemental letters of recommendation directly to the Klingenstein Center.

Back to Top

Is an interview a required component of an application?

No, an interview is not a part of the application process but the Klingenstein Center welcomes visits from prospective students. Please contact the Klingenstein Center if you are interested in a visit and/or observing a class.

Back to Top

Can I transfer credits from previous graduate work?

Students pursuing the M.A. degree are required to have all 32 credits earned at Teachers College. Students with previous graduate school work interested in the Ed.M. degree, may transfer a maximum of 30 qualified credits. Students are required to complete the Teachers College paperwork for review and approval of transfer credits. Please note that only graduate courses which have been (1) completed with grades of B or higher, (2) submitted on an official transcript from a regionally accredited institution, and (3) granted/assigned credit on the transcript of that institution, may be considered for transfer credit.

Back to Top